Fletcher Research Internship
The program will be June 12, 2023 - August 18, 2023 at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. Applications and recommendation letters are due Feb 13, 2023.
Please apply here: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/23451
This internship program is designed to provide students contemplating graduate work at BYU the opportunity to participate in meaningful research at the university and familiarize themselves with the professors and facilities. There are exciting opportunities in a number of areas including optics (using lasers of all kinds including ultrashort pulse and UV lasers), computer modeling, plasmas, solid state and thin film science, acoustics, theory, and astronomy.
Undergraduate participants will be $6,000 paid at $15/hr. for 10 forty-hour weeks, housing, a food stipend, and help with travel when needed.
Applications must be received by February 13, 2023, to receive full consideration. Click on the menu links above for more information, and the buttons above to apply online. We are especially interested in applicants from minority groups who are underrepresented in physics or who come from schools which don't have graduate research programs. The application will ask you for the following, so you might want to have this information handy (not a complete list):
- Your GPA and your major GPA
- A list of the physics and math courses you have taken/are taking, with grades
- Your top four choices of advisors, and why you are interested in their projects (see “Projects” link for details on available advisors)
- A short paragraph on how participating in the BYU Fletcher program will help further your academic and career goals
- A short paragraph on what attracts you to the BYU graduate program and why you are considering coming to BYU for graduate school.
- A one page resume to include with your application
- Contact information (email addresses) for two individuals who will write letters of recommendation for you
Undergraduates in the Fletcher program must be enrolled at an accredited U.S. college or university and be graduating after September 2023. Students should be strongly considering graduate work at BYU. All participants must be U.S. citizens or eligible to work in the United States. If you do not fit these requirements but would still like to be considered, please contact us to describe your situation.