Astronomical Society Star Parties
Upcoming Star Parties
- 7:30pm Friday Night star parties on the ESC Observing Deck (weather permitting)
What to Expect
- Lots of telescopes big and small
- Happy sounding silhouettes in the dark
- Cold weather (best for stargazing!)
Before You Arrive
- Dress twice as warm as you normally would dress for cold weather
- Wear layers and bring extra warm clothing
- Bring binoculars or a telescope if you want
- Grab a snack
- Find your significant other (because the stars are awfully romantic...)
Tips For Surviving Frigid Star Parties
- Wear a winter hat
- Wear a coat (or multiple coats) that come below your buttocks and cinch up. This keeps cold air from coming up from beneath and helps you stay surprisingly warm
- Change clothes before coming - change even your underclothes. The slight perspiration from the day on these will make you cold despite any other measures you take.
- Don't wear cotton close to your skin, when you perspire cotton will make you colder. Synthetic fabrics and wool are your friends in cold weather!
- Wool socks.
Star Party Locations
Big Springs Park (40 19' 56.3" N; 111 31' 29.2" W)
- Travel up Provo Canyon
- Turn right at Vivian Park
- Travel through Vivian Park approximately 3.3 miles
- Turn right into Big Springs Park
- Continue straight, then turn at the Star Party sign
- Travel through the park to the upper parking lot
- Click here for a Google map of the site
Other Dark Sky Sites Near Provo
To submit new locations, please contact us!