X-Ray Optics Research
I am working on a project with Prof. David Allred and a group of undergraduate and graduate students that began with designing and testing a mirror for the Medium Exploror (MIDEX) Program. Our mirror was part of a device for imaging the upper atmosphere from space at a wavelength of 304 Angstroms. The mirror we designed was to have a relatively high reflectivity at 304 Angstroms (>20%) and a low reflectivity at 584 Angstroms (<0.2%). The research involves computer aided optical design, multi-layer mirror fabrication, measurement of optical properties of materials, and design and fabrication of test and measurement components. The mirror was incorporated in the instrument being built by the Optical Sciences Center at the University of Arizona. After testing, the instrument was integrated with others in the payload and launched in early 2000. My students and I are responsible for optical design and other computational aspects of the program. In addition we built a reflectometer for measuring optical properties of XUV optics and coatings. Recently, we designed and built an XUV polarimeter to enable us to accurately determine optical constants in this wavelength regime.
Our group uses the Advanced Light Source at Lawrence Berkeley Lab for some of our research.
Publications and Presentations
- Greg Hart
- Utah Academy Paper (Best Paper Award, 2013) in PDF format.
- Todd Doughty
- Senior Thesis in PDF format
- Cleaning Papers and Presentations
- Joseph Muhlestein
- 2003 SRI Poster PDF Power Point
- Marie Urry
- 2003 Alumni Poster. PDF Power Point
- Kristi Adamson
- David Oliphant's MS Thesis, 12/00
- Shannon Lunt
- Matt Squires
- Matt McDonald's Senior Thesis
- Ryan Camacho's Senior Thesis
- Raymond Rios' thesis in PDF format or Word format.
- Niki Farnsworth Brimhall's thesis in PDF format.
- 2002 SPIE Paper on Optics for Astrophysical Applications
- 2003 SPIE Paper on Comparison of UO and Nickel
- IMAGE Satelite presentation made to the SLC Astronomical Society, February 2001: PDF HTML
- How Thick is My Oxide, MRS 2002 Fall Meeting (Boston)
- Guillermo Acosta's Abruptor Poster PowerPoint File
Spring Research Conference Presentations (2003)
- Elke Jackson, "Rectifying Data Differences: ALS vs. Monochromator" PDF Power Point
- Luke Bissell, "Determining Ruthenium's Optical Constants in the Extreme Ultraviolet" PDF Power Point
Spring Research Conference Presentations (2002)
- Elke Jackson, "Monochromator Improvements and Focussing"
- Fabian Walter, "Obtaining soft x-ray constants across the 2p edge in Fe films by resonant magnetic scattering experiments of polarized soft X-rays"
- Nick Webb, "Oxidations Rates of Vandium"
- Raymond Rios, "Building and Testing an XUV polarimeter"
- Ryan Anderson, "Dual Mirror Optical System for use with Grazing Incidence Spectrograph"
- Shannon Lunt, "Optical Properties of Thin-film Uranium Oxide in the XUV"
Data Analysis Links
Data log information from July, 2004 runs at ALS.
Data files on log books, dark current analysis, growth run sheets, and window materials.
Circuit diagram for Octagonal chamber control box.
JFIT Fitting Program
PDF Users Guide and Installation Guide
zip file for Windows or Linux Installation