Student Employment

TA and Grading Positions

Each semester the Department of Physics and Astronomy hires students to assist in teaching and grading. If you are a physics major, you should look into this opportunity to get paid for practicing your physics skills. We also welcome qualified non-physics majors to apply.

Use the following links to apply for teaching assistant positions and submit scheduling information so we know when we can assign you to work.

Experimental Support Positions

There is frequently need for students to work as Vacuum Technology Lab Assistants. They need to be ME, MFG, or Physics majors with a demonstrated aptitude for mechanical work.

There is also a need for Electrical Engineering Lab Assistants. They should be EE, MFG, or Physics majors with some experience in building component level analog and digital systems and repair. Programming experience preferred.

Contact John Ellsworth (2-3332) to inquire about these jobs.

Undergraduate Research Support

In addition to TA and grading assignments, the Department of Physics and Astronomy is able to fund a limited number of physics majors to work in research groups within the department. Students are typically funded for 10 hours per week during the Fall and Winter semesters, and 20 hours/week Spring/Summer.  Use the following link to apply for research support:

AFTER You Have Been Offered a Position

After you have been offered a job in the Physics and Astronomy Department, fill out the following form.

  • Hiring Form
    Note: If you have been offered a TA position or department funded RA position, you don't need to fill out this form.

Next: Learn about physics scholarship opportunities.