Physics 442 - Winter 2017
Welcome to Physics 442!
TA: Ty Beus, firstname.lastname@example.org, office hours:
* 2-4 pm the day before the HW is due (or on Friday, if HW is due on Monday). That'll be in room N337 on various Fridays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. This will be for general help on the homework.
* 2-3 pm on the days that HW is due (i.e., after the HW is due), for more general questions. That'll be in the underground lab in the open area below the skylight on various Mondays, Weds, and Fridays.
The following links are explained more below.
- I will bring hardcopies of the syllabus to the first day of class. If you would like to download a pdf version of the syllabus, a pdf file is linked to above.
Homework and Grades
- I will use the Physics Department's "Max" system to assign homework and keep track of grades: //max.byu.edu
- Here's the "n_of_air.txt" file that you need for one HW problem: n_of_air.txt
Here are handouts from various class periods.
- lecture 1 - Parallel Equations for the Electric and Magnetic Fields.pdf
- lecture 14 - Bessel functions.pdf
- lecture 15 - TE modes of rectangular waveguide.pdf
- lecture 15 - TM Modes of a Cylindrical Waveguide.pdf
- lecture 35 - Lorentz transformations Labview program: lorentz.exe. Requires you to install this Labview "run time engine": //www.ni.com/download/labview-run-time-engine-8.6.1/1244/en/.
The ones below are still from last year (summer 2016); the lecture numbers do not yet correspond to Winter 2017 and there may be other small changes.
- lecture 19 - proof of field tensor transformation.nb
- Final exam review - selected clicker questions from U of Colorado
- final exam review - Ch 8 clicker questions - 17 questions.pptx
- final exam review - Ch 9 clicker questions - 30 questions.pptx
- final exam review - Ch 10 clicker questions - 12 questions.pptx
- final exam review - Ch 11 clicker questions - 8 questions.pptx
- final exam review - Ch 12 clicker questions - 20 questions.pptx