Physics 442 - Winter 2018
Welcome to Physics 442!
Instructor: John S. Colton
Office: N335 ESC
TA: Annie Laughlin
When HW is due on a Wednesday: Annie Tues 1-3 pm; Dr. Colton Tues 3-4:30 pm
When HW is due on a Friday: Annie Thurs 1-3 pm; Dr. Colton Thurs 4-5:30 pm
When HW is due on a Monday: Annie the previous Friday 2-3 pm and the Monday when it's due 9-10 am; Dr Colton Mon 10-11 am.
Additional office hours by Annie available by appointment!
The following links are explained more below.
- Syllabus: syllabus - 442 - winter 2018.pdf
- HW & Grades: //max.byu.edu/20181-phscs442/
- I will bring hardcopies of the syllabus to the first day of class. If you would like to download a pdf version of the syllabus, a pdf file is linked to above.
Homework and Grades
- I will use the Physics Department's "Max" system to assign homework and keep track of grades: //max.byu.edu; direct link to our class: //max.byu.edu/20181-phscs442/
- Here's the "n_of_air.txt" file that you need for one HW problem: n_of_air.txt
- Here's the graph paper you need for the "graphical Lorentz transformation" HW problem: graphical_velocity_transformation.pdf
Here are handouts from various class periods.
- lecture 1 - Parallel Equations for the Electric and Magnetic Fields (revised).pdf
- lecture 13 - The Power of the Lorentz Model.pdf
- lecture 15 - TE modes of rectangular waveguide.pdf
- lecture 15 - Bessel functions.pdf
- lecture 16 - TM Modes of a Cylindrical Waveguide.pdf
- lecture 21 - six derivations.pdf
- lecture 33 - Lorentz transformations Labview program: lorentz.exe. Requires you to install this Labview "run time engine": //www.ni.com/download/labview-run-time-engine-8.6.1/1244/en/.
- lecture 42 - proof of field tensor transformation.nb